Anti social behaviour - Noise problems

Noise Problems

If you are concerned about the noise levels coming from next door, then often the best way to deal with the problem is to go to the source and talk to the person causing the problem. 

Most problems can be solved amicably without the need for further action. You may feel anxious about approaching your neighbour but remember they may be genuinely unaware that they are the source of a problem. When approached, often they will be embarrassed about the nuisance they have been causing and will be more considerate in future. It is important to do this as early as possible before the problem spirals out of control.

Having a quiet word

Before you approach your neighbour, plan what you are going to say. Keep calm and be pleasant and then they are more likely to respond positively to your complaint.

Never approach your neighbour when the noise is actually happening. You are more likely to be angry and have an argument with your neighbour if you do.

In addition to this, if it is late at night and your neighbours are playing music loudly or having a party, they may have been drinking alcohol. If this is the case, they are unlikely to be as receptive to your grievance as they may normally be - they may think you are just trying to spoil their enjoyment.

Be careful

Before you approach your neighbour, it is important to assess the risk to your personal safety and property. If you feel frightened or intimidated by your neighbour and you are worried that they may respond aggressively, then approaching them to complain may not be the best option for you.

If this is the case, then check whether your neighbours are tenants. It is contained within the Conditions of Tenancy that tenants must not cause nuisance to neighbours and your Tenancy Services Officer will be able to assist in such cases.

Mediation Services

If you get a negative response from your neighbour and the noise continues, the next step in solving your problem would be to consider mediation. Your Tenancy Services Officer will be able to make the appropriate referral, please contact us on 0800 833 160 or via our 24 hour Anti Social Behaviour reporting line 0800 833 163.


Southend-on-Sea City Council 

You may also like to visit the Southend-on-Sea City Council web pages relating to Noise Pollution, which you can access by clicking here.