Fraud and other money related crimes like theft, bribery and hiding money from crime cost us all a lot of pounds each year.

If you suspect someone is committing fraud, you should report it.

There are lots of different types of fraud affecting Southend-on-Sea City Council as a whole but, in a housing setting, the ones you may become aware of include: 

Housing Tenancy Fraud

Southend-on-Sea City Council provide over 6000 social housing properties, with many more being provided by Registered Social Landlords.

The most common types of housing tenancy fraud include:

  • subletting - when a tenant leaves their property and allows another person to move in, often paying rent to the original tenant far above what we would charge
  • abandonment - when a tenant leaves their property without telling us, for example when a person moves in with a new partner but keeps their council home as a safety net or simply for a place to store their belongings
  • wrongful tenancy succession - when someone lies about living in a property for the qualifying period in order to gain the tenancy of a deceased tenant
  • key selling - when a tenant sells their tenancy to another person for a one off payment or reward
  • giving false information in a housing application - for example, not declaring you own or rent a property elsewhere, or by lying about the number of people moving in with you to gain a larger property
  • right to buy - where concerns are raised over the validity of a right to buy application

Council Tax Fraud

Council tax fraud is when a person deliberately gives false or misleading information in order to pay less or no council tax.

The most common types of council tax fraud include when a person:

  • doesn't tell us about true circumstances that affect their claim for council tax reduction
  • claims to live in a single-person household when more than one person lives there
  • claims to be a student when they are not

What to do if you Suspect Fraud

  • You can tell the Council’s Counter Fraud & Investigations Team about fraud using their online form .
  • You can also write to them at:

Counter fraud and investigation
Southend-on-Sea City Council
Civic Centre
Victoria AvenueSouthend-on-Sea

You do not have to give your name when you tell the Council about fraud.

Their fraud investigators can ask the people you work for to give them information about your job. If you are an employer, you can find out what they can and cannot do by emailing .