Home Contents Insurance


South Essex Homes does not insure your furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes.

You need to take out your own household insurance either with the special South Essex Homes scheme through Aviva or by making your own arrangements.

The South Essex Homes scheme is open to all Southend-on-Sea City Council tenants.

You can download an information pack about our insurance scheme -  South Essex Homes Home Contents Insurance Web Pack [pdf] 281KB including an application form to print off, or you can complete the following application form electronically: Home Contents Insurance Application Form [pdf] 638KB

The policy is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited.

Aviva Insurance Limited, Registered in Scotland Number 2116. Registered Office: Pitheavlis, Perth PH2 0NH. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Please refer to Aviva's Privacy Notice:  Home Contents Insurance - Data Protection Statement [pdf] 736KB


Advantages of South Essex Homes’ Home Contents Insurance

  • New-for-Old insurance;
    All your home contents are covered by the policy on a ‘new for old’ basis, with the exception of linen and clothing which will be replaced at their current cost, less an amount for wear and tear.  
  • No Excess
  • Premium does not increase if a claim is made
  • Uniform rate for all residents - regardless of postcode
  • Special low minimum sums insured;
    You can insure your goods from the value of just £4000 - up to a maximum of £40,000
  • No security requirements
  • No need for special locks for windows or doors to be installed. 


When you take out this insurance your household goods and contents will be insured whilst in your home.  The insurance also covers theft or loss of your keys and the contents in your freezer.  There is also cover for personal liability.  Accidental damage is not covered as standard other than what is detailed in the policy summary.

However, a full accidental damage option is available at an additional cost which is also detailed in the policy summary and the ‘Cost of insurance’ table within the application booklet.

There is also an option to purchase “add-on” covers for wheelchairs, mobility scooters, hearing aids and pedal cycles, as well as personal belongings away from the home. 

When you are working out the cost of your insurance, you will need to work out how much it will cost to replace the full contents.  If you under-value your contents this will mean that if you claim you will not get the full value of your claim.

For more information, please download the policy booklet  Tenants Contents Insurance Scheme Policy Booklet.pdf [pdf] 143KB , the application booklet Home Contents Insurance Application Form [pdf] 638KB and also read the document regarding the protection of your data  Home Contents Insurance - Data Protection Statement[pdf] 736KB

Cost and how to pay

Premiums start at just £0.34 (yes, 34 pence!) per week.

The price you pay each week depends on the sum insured and any additional cover you choose.  You can find a full table of costs by downloading the Home Insurance Pack.

The cost of insurance is payable weekly and the premium will be added to your weekly rent. 

To make sure that you are always covered you must keep up to date with your payments.

South Essex Homes can cancel the policy if your premium payments fall into arrears and you may not be able to make a claim unless your payments are up to date.

How to apply

You are able to apply by downloading and completing an electronic form and submitting it online. Home Contents Insurance Application Form [pdf] 638KB

Alternatively you can email us with your home address details to request an application pack, which we will post out to you with a pre-paid envelope for you to complete and return to us.

If you have any queries about filling in your form, please telephone 0800 833160.

Additional Notes

If during the period of your insurance cover your home is likely to be unoccupied (e.g. if you are in hospital, extended holiday) for more than 60 consecutive days you will have to advise South Essex Homes.

Remember, it is your responsibility to ensure that the sum insured is sufficient to cover all your household items and personal effects.

South Essex Homes urges all residents to take out household insurance, either through our special scheme or by making your own arrangements.

Insurance starts when South Essex Homes informs you that you have been accepted onto the scheme.

We will write to you with details of your insurance payments and the date when you should start paying.

You will be notified in writing if, for any reason, you have not been accepted into the scheme.

Financial Promotions Code: FP.ENT.286.VC