Domestic Abuse

South Essex Homes is committed to providing advice and assistance to any victim of domestic abuse.

We actively condemn any act of abuse whether it be verbal, psychological, physical or sexual and we do this by including specific sections in our Conditions of Tenancy relating to this.  We will take action against any tenant who abuses a member of their household.

If you think you are a victim of domestic abuse we will provide a confidential and supportive service. 

If you do not feel safe in your home because of domestic abuse we can provide extra security, an alarm or just advice and support.

Domestic Violence - What can we do to help?

If you report domestic violence in person or on the telephone, we will give immediate advice. Where you write to us, where appropriate we will respond within three working days.  In an emergency you should always dial 999 and ask for the police.  You can also call 101 if the issue is not an emergency but you would still like to talk to the police.

We can offer;

  • advice and help with security for South Essex Homes tenants.
  • housing and tenancy advice advice and help if you need to move home
  • information and make referrals on your behalfbenefits and money advice 
  • Free counselling ongoing support and advice 

Contact the Support Services Team on 0800 833 160.


Domestic Abuse (DA) is defined by the government as:

‘Any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, of have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.’

DA can include, but is not limited to any of the following types of abuse:

  • Psychological
  • Physical
  • Sexual
  • Financial
  • Emotional

DA also includes so called ‘honour’ based violence such as female genital mutilation and forced marriages.

South Essex Homes is committed to providing advice and assistance to any victim of domestic abuse.  We encourage residents to get in touch if they are affected by domestic abuse so that they can receive the right help, support and advice.  There are also many other local organisations that can offer support and advice – please see below useful numbers and contact details of local agencies and organisations.


Where can I get help and support?

Essex Police have a freephone number for victims of domestic violence: 0800 358 0351. This is an alternative to the non-emergency number 101.  Always call 999 in an emergency.